Immigration Visas & More at Lake Chapala – Part 2

December 10, 2011

If you decide you want to live here and you want to have an FM3 or an FM2 and you want to bring your household goods from the United States or Canada or from outside Mexico, you only have a certain limited timeframe from when you get your immigration status, and that, right now, is 90 days.
You have 90 days to bring your household goods in. If you go beyond that time, then you’ll need to consult an actual customs broker to help you with that process.
I promised earlier to give you the names of three excellent, immigration specialists.
One is an attorney, one is studying to be an attorney here in Mexico, and one is associated with a local attorney and has been in business here for about 30 years.
I’m going to start with Mago Office because her service is the first one I used to help me about 16 years ago.
She goes by the nickname of Mago, which translates “magician”.
She got that nickname because she was good at solving immigration problems for North Americans by magically making things happen.
She knew all the tricks to get you through the system with the least amount of hassle and least amount of money.
Mago’s real name is Margarita Negrete De Alvarez. She’s associated with Mexican attorney-at-law, Lic. Jaideber Rico Mercado.
They help with all sorts of government documents and processing FM3, FM2, IMSS, the Mexican social security healthcare system and more.
If you’re disabled, they will even come to your house. They also now do in-house photos so you don’t have to go down the street to get a photograph.
Mago’s daughter, Norma Natali Alvarez N. now, is pretty much running things but Mago is still around seeing that everything runs smoothly.
Mago’s office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 2:30p.m., then they take break for lunch, and they’re open again from 3:15pm until 6:00pm.
They’re even open on Saturdays from 10:00am until 1:00pm.
They’re located on the main road at Avenue Madero #230-1 in Chapala.
Her email is The local telephone number is 376-765-3640. The fax number is 376-765-4199.
The next one I’ll recommend is Spenser R. McMullen. Obviously, with that name, you know he’s not a Mexican guy, but speaks fluent Spanish and English.
Spenser’s in the process of becoming a Mexican lawyer, believe it or not. He works hard to understand Mexican law, and of course, he knows Mexican immigration law perfectly.
His main number is 376-765-7553. He also has a voice over Internet, USA number, 805-256-8053.
In Mexico, his cell phone number is  331-120-6662. Note, if you call him from a landline, you call 045 first followed by the cell number.
His office is at his home, is on Hidalgo #230 in Chapala and the zip code there is 45900. His website is
Spenser is a great guy. He’s very helpful. He has other services like doing official translations, and he helps with obtaining US Mortgages on property in Mexico.
The last recommendation is for  Lic. Alvaro Becerra Sanchez. He’s a local lawyer who does a lot of immigration work.
 His email is
His Mexican cell phone number is  333-201-3123. Remember to call 045 first if calling from a landline from within Mexico.
He’s fluent in English, has a good reputation, and is very knowledgeable on all immigration matters.
You can often find him at the Lake Chapala Society. You might want to check there or give him call and see when he’s going to be there.
He’s there at least once or twice a week, just to be there and available to North Americans who might want to talk to him about immigration matters.
Siempre tu amigo,


  • Bob

    Hi Sid,

    More great information in simple language even I can understand!:-)

    Thanks muchas!


  • Mark Terry

    I do have questions! I think I don’t qualify for FM2 or FM3 — my Social Security check is $681. And I get maybe $200 per month from investments.

    Most of my rent is paid here in Hawaii by HUD. If I move to Mexico, I’d lose that. And I’d no longer be able to use my Medicare. So I feel trapped in the USA by a low rent and Medicare. Your comments?

  • Sid Grosvenor

    Hi Mark,

    Thanks for your post. I’d suggest that you come down on Tourist permit. Look over the area. Rent a small inexpensive place.
    Check with one of our recommended immigration services that may be able to get you qualified for an FM3.

    The Mexican government must have proof that you will not become a burden on the government. If you have savings sometimes they will accept this as proof you will not become a burden on the government.

    I hope this helps, Tu amigo, Sid

Email for more information:

Featured Video

Latest Club Posts

Recent Club Comments

  • Catherine Ibarra: Does Handy Mail, provide FAX service? if not does anyone else"…
  • The real and only Toedeladoki: Hello and have a good day! We are a Dutch couple living for more than 11 years in Barra De Navidad. We…
  • douglas brown: How do I get more info. on assisted living or retirement homes . I have tried to find info. but…
  • Mopussyplease: But could you answer on question? If it's so safe down there, why do all of the homes have bars…
  • Mopussyplease: But if you look at the whole country of Mexico and their murder rate vs America's murder rate. Mexico's murder…
  • John: Sid, please do not write about how great the Chapala area is as there are too many Americans and Canadians…
  • Marco Duran: My name is Sofia Huerta 37 y/o and I speak english, italian and spanish I've wroked in UK and Italy…

Chapala Webboard

Chapala Club Archives

See all Chapala Club Posts

Chapala Club Topics

Friends of Chapala Club